French 75 - mulitple ways

I went to New Orleans with a friend and we did a cocktail walking tour. At the first stop we went to a place known for French 75's.  Our guide gave us the option of getting it with gin or brandy.  Google searching recipes later, gin is definately traditional. A second option is Cognac.  Deep google dive later - Cognac is like Champagne, it can only be called Cognac if it's from the Cognac region of France - and only if it's made with white grapes, while brandy can be made with a variety of fruits. 

I made this later for a friend who was saying she was into French 75's. In New Orleans I opted for Brandy and it was great.  For my friend I made the gin version and also tried a pomegranate version that I just spontaneously used pomegranate liqour I happened to have in the cabinet rather than gin, brandy, or Cognac. 

Photograph above is of the version with gin. 

Recipe makes 1 cocktail

Ingredients:

  • 1 ounce booze of choice (gin, Cognac, brandy, pomegranate liquour, or fuck it - be creative)
  • 1/2 ouce lemon juice
  • 1/4 ounce simple syrup
  • 4 ounces bubbles (Champagne or Prosecco)
  • 2 dashes of bitters IF doing gin/brandy/Cognac (Peychaud's is recommended to be truely New Orleans - Angostura is a good substitute and what we used, I also read orange bitters works as well)

Instructions:

  1. In a cocktail shaker with ice add all ingredients except the bubbles.  
  2. Shake well.
  3. Pour into glass.
  4. Top with bubbles. 

Adapted from: Food Republic

*Both the lemon juice and the simple syrup wwere 1/4 ounce in this recipe - I found others that used 1/2 ounce but I wanted to avoid it being overly sweet. 
*I also found recipes that did not use bitters at all.

New Variation:

Sub Witchcraft Grenadine for simple syrup and Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters for the bitters!


Pomegranate version:


Witchcraft Grenadine and Cherry Bark Variation:




Comments

Popular Posts