Blood Moon Margarita

I always struggle with Halloween themed beverages for our Halloween party.  This summer I was in Salem Massachusetts and bought a book Witchcraft Cocktails .  I don't think I'll have as much trouble again! 

This one takes little prep (no making of simple syrups, etc) besides finding the ingredients, which, as I will write below, can be tricky. 

I will note that it uses Blood Orange juice which I have struggled to find in the past.  It was still a journey.  The store I had originally found it in a few years ago (Fresh Mart International Grocery in Sun Prairie) was a no go.  4 more grocery stores before I found blood oranges at Whole Foods. Then I found blood orange juice in Woodman's.  Its in the coolers in the produce aisle and it's called Natalie's. 

Recipe makes 1 cocktail.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 ouces mezcal
  • 1 TBSP pomegranate liqueur 
  • 1 TBSP agave nectar
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 TBSP blood orange juice
  • Optional Garnishes: 3 pomegranate seeds and/or a blood orange peel (they suggested a 'flamed' blood orange peel.

Instructions:

  • Option 1: (what I actually did) Add all liquids to a cocktail shaker with some ice.  Shake generously. Serve over ice or not over ice.  (When I had a large glass, I used ice.  When I had a small glass, I did not) Garnish as desired
  • Option 2: (what the book said but I didn't read it at the time) Add mezcal, pomegranate liqueur, agave nectar, and lime juice to a martini glass. Add ice to fill (wait... who puts ice in a martini glass?  I will add there is no ice in the photo in the book...) Float blood orange juice on top. Stir briefly. Garnish. 
Adapted from: Witchcraft Cocktails
**Book has fun witchy info on the drink.  I'm not going to share because that feels like plagiarism. 
**Photo in small glass made for re-creation after party, photo of me holding the drink is from the party. 


From the party:

With some food from the party (recreated for photos after):



 

Comments

Popular Posts