Chai Latte

One of my ultimate favorites.  This took a few tries to get right.  Here are listed 2 of the recipes I made.  One uses ground spices, one uses whole  The whole ended up a little more bitter, and the ground a little more sweet.  You decide what you like better. 

On a side note, once I found a chai I liked, I tried to make it into a Chai-der.  It curdled.  I'm guessing a non-dairy substitute would fix that.  If anyone has suggestions on chai-der recipes or tips, please share.

Chai #1 (ground spices/sweeter):

Ingredients:

Homemade Chai Mix (make ahead, makes many chai lattes):

  • 2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 2 tsp ground all spice
  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground cloves
  • 6 tsp ground ginger

Latte Ingredients:

  • 2 cups milk (I used 1% - original recipe called for almond milk which might solve my Chai-der problem)
  • 2 black tea bags or 1 TBSP loose black tea (2 if you like your tea stronger/more bitter)
  • 1-2 TBSP maple syrup
  • 2 tsp of the chai mix

Instructions:

  1. Mix all Chai mix ingredients together and store in an air-tight container.
  2. Put milk, tea bags or loose leaf within a tea strainer, maple syrup, and chai spices in a small sauce pan and whisk.
  3. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat, remove immediately after boiling.
  4. Let steep for 3-5 min, the longer the stronger.  (I tried 3 and 5 min, I preferred 3 min personally)
  5. Remove tea bags and pour through sieve if you have one (I don't so I just tried to pour as little of the sediment at the bottom into the mug as possible. 
  6. Serve hot, or over ice for an iced latte. 
*This was my favorite of the 2 recipes.
*Makes 2 smaller mugs 
Adapted from: Fit Foodie Finds




Chai #2 (Whole spices/More bitter)

Ingredients:

Chai Concentrate:

  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 2 TBSP loose tea (Original website suggests Assam tea)
  • 3 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 star anise
  • 10 cardamom pods
  • 10 whole cloves
  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns

Latte ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)

Instructions:

  1. Crush/roughly chop star anise, cloves, cardamom pods
  2. In a saucepan add all the chai concentrate ingredients except vanilla extract and simmer on low for 10 min. 
  3. Strain out tea and spice solids
  4. Add vanilla extract
  5. Heat milk, simmering on low on stovetop until little bubbles form along the edges. 
  6. This makes 4 servings, so either combine in a pitcher and then pour into separate cups, or pour equal parts milk and concentrate straight into mugs.
  7. If you want to be fancy you can top with whipped cream.  Or if you want to be really really fancy, you can go to the original website and follow their additional step to make homemade whipped cream.  I have made whipped cream before, but unless there's something unique about it I'm to lazy.  Hmmm... chai flavored whipped cream...? Put chai seasonings in the cream?  Maybe I'll try that some day. 
  8. Anyways, last step, enjoy. 
Altered from: Oh How Civilized 





Comments

Popular Posts