Su Jeong Gwa Tea (Version 1 - Spicy)

Got this recipe out of a Korean recipe book, and it's very different than other teas I've drank.  It's very spicy.  In fact I added water to mine after it was brewed. But it's good.  It's worth the extra work verses dropping a tea bag in a glass of hot water.  And a big thanks to my sister-in-law, Kylie, for the gift of this cookbook! 

Update: I learned of a second, sweeter recipe, both are great, but find it here

Makes about 2 mugs of tea

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 oz peeled ginger sliced into 1/4 inch thick (recipe called for 4, but after I peeled the ginger it ended up being closer to 3 oz.  And it was still plenty spicy)
  • 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 jujubes
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pine nuts
  • 3 cups water

Instructions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in saucepan and set over high heat and bring to just under a boil (though lets be honest - mine came to a full boil accidentally), stirring to dissolve sugar.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
  3. Remove from heat, cover, and steep at room temp for 2 hours.
  4. Strain the tea, serve or keep in refrigerator until ready to use. 
*Note: this may make an amazing hot toddy. 

Altered from: My Korea
Also check out the sweeter version I made: Drinking with Doyle



Comments

Popular Posts