Thai Iced Tea

I love to get this beverage when I eat at Southeast Asian restaurants. You could also made it a bubble tea if you have the tapioca pearls, but I didn't have them at the time.  

Makes 2 beverages.  I kept the other half in the fridge, and mixed it when I wanted it later.  It seems best to do that even if you are only planning on drinking one in a day because it takes a fair amount of time to brew/cool. 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 2 TBSP thai tea mix
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP black tea
  • 1/2 cup milk (optional)
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 TBSP sweetened condensed milk

Instructions:

  1. Combine the thai tea mix, brown sugar, and black tea in a teapot. 
  2. Boil water, then pour into tea pot, steep for 5 mins. 
  3. Remove tea leaves from tea and chill. 
  4. Combine evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk and froth in a french press.
  5. Divide chilled tea between two large glasses (mine were 16 oz).  Add ice if desired.
  6. Add 1/2 cup milk to each glass if desired. The first time I made it I did not do this. It was a bit strong for me, so I've been adding milk since. Stir.
  7. Divide the frothed evaporated and sweetened condensed milk between the glasses. Lightly stir so that the cream gets mixed in, but foam remains on top. 
*If making two, but keeping one for later, keep milk mixture and tea separate so you can froth before combining. 

*The original recipe said to freeze the milk mixture before frothing.  I tried this the first time but discontinued it.  I do not feel it did anything except make it harder to froth. 

*I have linked ingredients I used because I wasn't particularly familiar with them, but you can use others if you are familiar with these ingredients. 

Adapted from: Oh how civilized






Comments

Popular Posts